Friday, October 1, 2010

OCTOBER 1 – AN INTRODUCTION TO UBUD, BALI





• After an early arrival to Denpasar airport, a nice man drove me to my new little home in Desa Sanctuary. Both he and his wife work there. http://www.sanctuarythevillage.com/ It’s very lovely and simple. There are only 5 or so little homes in the sanctuary, surrounding a beautiful pool with waterfall and my house comprises of a good sized bedroom (nice big bed) upstairs and downstairs an open kitchen, bathroom and living area. The staff are so friendly and helpful.
• I mentioned to one of the staff I wanted to hire a bicycle and this morning my bike was delivered. It’s a great ride up to the village and to the yoga centre I’m taking some classes at and we’re not far from the monkey forest so looking forward to riding through that too;
• Another thing I wanted to do was meet Ketut Liyer – the Medicine Man from Liz Gilbert’s Eat Pray Love. He only lives up the street so another little cycle, I found myself sitting with him for about an hour talking and having my palm (and other necessary appendages read). This man is 96 years old and it quite insightful.
• The food is wonderful – heaps of fresh produce (from the recommended places) and AUD$10 will get you a great feed of cold soup, fresh vegetable and tofu stir fry, fresh vegetable juice and a bottle of water (so I won’t be cooking much in my little kitchen).
• Oh I did leave last night to head into town and neglected to write down the address of where I was staying SO I am becoming ‘travel-lazy’. Thanks to Kazza who sms’d me the address as the locals had no idea where to go (and nor did I). You’re a brilliant travel agent and friend!!

1 comment:

  1. Seriously jealous you got to meet Ketut and have a reading. I just seen the movie in Tralee, Dublin.

    When in Bali I read a book by Janet de Neefe called Fragrant Rice. She's an Aussie who now lives in Bali with her husband Ketut and runs Casa Luna restaurant and cooking school in Ubud. Thought you might like to check it out.
    http://www.casalunabali.com/

    ReplyDelete