Tuesday, June 1, 2010

SIENA, DOPO (and then) SIESTA





• There is an ongoing rivalry between Siena and Florence. It is said that most travellers identify with one or the other city. Having been to both, I do prefer Florence (although both are different and diverse). Siena is an enchanting city that is full of art, museums and of course .... churches.
• Stopped for a cafe, a good walk around the main part of the city, then a great pizza lunch in Piazza del Campo – which has been Siena’s Civic and Social centre since the mid 14th century. It was like walking through a “gothic arcade”;
• Left around 3 pm and drove back to the villa for my siesta – found a nice cocktail lounge in the Centro area of my village – and it advertises (in English) FREE INTERNET FOR ALL CUSTOMERS – hmmm - not just for some customers. It looks to be an enchanting little place, so I’ll take my PC there tonight and have a drink or two before dinner.
• My little house is now stocked full of food (much of it local produce) – Neil Morrison – you would be proud! I did accidentally buy many rolls of kitchen towel rather than toilet paper but I figure if this is my worst grocery experience, not bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment