Thursday, June 3, 2010

VIAREGGIO, DOPPO LIVORNO

• When I woke this morning, it was pouring with rain, cold and windy. I decided to take off to see two western coastal towns ... Viareggio and Livorno. Viareggio is the arse end of the earth (then turn left). After the world’s fastest coffee break, back into my car heading to Livorno. I then got a text from my mate Scott saying don’t bother going to Livorno. As it was still raining and was heading in that direction, I decided to push through. Thanks for the tip mate – you were correct but about 10 minutes too late. Both towns are quintessential port towns with an unfortunate lack of aesthetics; and best seen from a business class seat of a Boeing 747. Livorno is Tuscany’s second largest city and I’m sure that’s its only claim to fame!
• As it was still raining (and the towns and the sky were as dull as dishwater) I didn’t bother taking my camera – so no photos. At any rate, it would be like photographing an unfortunate elderly relative with a large growth. I left to drive home about 3 pm and discovered many new little villages about 10 km from my home. They’re all equally as beautiful as each other and I’ll look forward to discovering more of their charms in the coming weeks. Just as I arrived into the Chianti Hills, the rain disappeared and the sun was in full force! WELCOME HOME!
• Tonight I’m hitting a local wine bar;
• Tomorrow I’m going to head to San Gimignano and I’m really looking forward to that!

No comments:

Post a Comment